Second screen apps for tablets and phones are becoming more popular, and in fact, we wrote about Marvel’s JARVIS app for “Iron Man 3” earlier today. Now, Disney has decided to bring the second screen experience to the theater with a new iPad app that can be used during a special screenings of “The Little Mermaid,” which will be showing in select theaters starting on September 20, 2013.
The app will allow viewers to play games and interact with the movie in the theater using an iPad. App activities will include things such as finding hidden treasure, taking part in sing-a-longs and even competing with other movie guests.
We have a list of theaters that will offer this unique experience:
· City Center 15: Cinema de Lux; White Plains, NY
· Farmingdale Multiplex Cinemas; Farmingdale, NY
· Arclight Beach Cities; El Segundo, CA
· Arclight Sherman Oaks; Sherman Oaks, CA
· Muvico Thousand Oaks 14; Thousand Oaks, CA
· AMC Empire 25; New York, NY
· AMC Garden State 16; Paramus, NJ
· AMC Burbank 16; Burbank, CA
· AMC Downtown Disney 12; Anaheim, CA
· AMC Bay Street 16; Emeryville, CA
· AMC Town Center 20; Leawood, KS
· Century Huntington Beach and XD; Huntington Beach, CA
· Cinemark West Plano and XD; West Plano, TX
· Carmike Wynnsong 16; Knoxville, TN
· Carmike 15; Columbus, GA
· El Capitan; Los Angeles, CA: Special showings on Sundays & Thursdays from September 15th through October 13th.
The trailer for the second screen experience is below: