Disclosure: We received a complimentary copy of this Blu-ray. All opinions are our own.
When Star Wars: The Clone Wars came to an end, we hoped Disney would continue telling some of the stories from the Star Wars Universe with a new animated TV series. We had thoroughly enjoyed The Clone Wars, and animation allows for some different stories and characters to be hashed out that might be too costly or time consuming to do otherwise. It didn’t take long for Disney to continue the trend with Star Wars Rebels, which made it’s debut on Disney Channel in October 2014. It’s undoubtedly one of the best things that has happened to Star Wars since Disney took over. The series details many of the events that take place during the timeframe between feature length films, Star Wars: Episode III Revenge of the Sith and Star Wars: Episode IV A New Hope. It’s centered around a small group of rebels including: Kanan Jarrus (Freddie Prinze Jr.), Ezra Bridger (Taylor Gray), Hera Syndulla (Vanessa Marshall), Sabine Wren (Tiya Sircar), Garazeb “Zeb” Orrelios (Steve Blum) and a droid named Chopper (with the exception of Chopper, they are all seen in the image below).
This is the synopsis for Star Wars Rebels Season 3 (we’re not going to go into much detail about the episodes individually, so as to avoid any possible spoilers):
Having established a secret base on Atollon, the Ghost crew, now led by a more powerful Ezra, strengthens the Rebel fleet by acquiring new resources and recruits eager to stand against the Empire. However, the Imperial efforts to eliminate the Rebellion are now being led by the coldly analytical Grand Admiral Thrawn, whose strategic, tactical and cultural insights make him a threat unlike any they have faced before. Ezra and Sabine must take on new roles and challenges as the Rebels prepare for their biggest mission yet – a direct assault on the Empire.
If a 19 episode season of Star Wars Rebels wasn’t enticing enough to grab the Blu-ray, there are some excellent Bonus Features on the Blu-ray (and DVD version) detailed below:
Blu-ray (includes all bonus features below):
- Return To Mandalore: Explore where Mandalore fits within the Empire’s regime – and whether Sabine can unite her people against the Imperial forces.
- Thrawn: A Legend Reborn: Learn Thrawn’s significance in Star Wars lore, and what the future may hold for this memorable villain.
- Apprentices to Outcasts: Kenobi And Maul: Track two adversaries who’ve clashed throughout Star Wars history, and find out why the time was right to conclude their story.
- The Original Rebel: Saw Gerrera Returns – Extended: Meet the Original Rebel. This exclusive extended version features Forest Whitaker discussing the character he brings to life in both Rebels and Rogue One.
Five Audio Commentaries
Featuring Dave Filoni (Executive Producer), Justin Ridge (Supervising Director), Kilian Plunkett (Art Director), Keith Kellogg (Animation Supervisor) and Joel Aron (CG Supervisor: Lighting & FX)
All DVD Bonus (see below)
- A Rebel Alliance: Discover how the formation of the Rebel Alliance in Rebels ties into the Rogue One timeline – and the exciting story possibilities that lie ahead for season 4.
- Rebels Recon: Go behind the scenes with the cast and crew in 19 entertaining and information-packed episode recaps!
Release Date: August 29, 2017
Format: Blu-ray (3-Disc) & DVD (4-Disc)
Rating: TVY7 FV; CE: PG; CF: G (Bonus Material Not Rated)
Run Time: Approximately 485 minutes (not including bonus)
Closed Captioned: Yes
Aspect Ratio: 1:78 (Widescreen)
Audio: 5.1 Dolby Digital
Languages/ Subtitles: English, French, German & Spanish