Marvel has certainly been on a roll. Under the Disney banner, they have not had a single movie that has failed to become a smash hit. They continue to put out great movies that are simply a joy to watch. If you like action, they have it. If you like comedy, there’s plenty of that too. And while the original “Thor” movie was very good and a hit in its own right, we were pleasantly surprised to find that we liked “Thor: The Dark World” even more. It took everything that was like-able from the first film and added a great deal to an already very stable foundation. It’s the rare situation where a sequel is actually better than the original and it makes us look forward to further Marvel films even more.
Alan Taylor obviously had a very specific, and visually pleasing, vision of how he wanted to present it. Overall, the film looks absolutely beautiful on Blu-ray with incredible scenes of Asgard, Jotunheim and the other magical locations that were presented in the film. The settings and scenery are certainly a big improvement from the original, so hopefully he will return to return for the third film.
Marvel has a track record of doing excellent Blu-ray transfers, and they’ve done it again. The film is often very dark with very different locales that all look amazing although quite contrasting in appearance. There is the the New Mexico desert, a warm and inviting Asgard and Jotunheim with its cold and uninviting landscapes. Each and every one of them look stunning. The dark scenes are certainly very challenging, with many scenes having little light and sometimes they have almost no light at all, but through it all, the Paramount transfer does a great job at delivering a great picture. The Blu-ray has a fantastic DTS-HD Master Audio 7.1 lossless soundtrack that is amazing from the quiet dialogues all the way to the most intense action scenes.
There are a few items that stand out on the Blu-ray as far as Bonus Features including our personal favorite, “All Hail the King” which we’ve mentioned a few times on the site. Director Alan Taylor, Producer Kevin Feige, Cinematographer Kramer Morgenthau each have something interesting to say in an audio commentary, but again it’s Tom Hiddleston that seems to bring the most. He genuinely seems to be a fan of the franchise and his insights into Loki make the Blu-ray purchase justifiable all by itself.
Blu-Ray Bonus Features:
- Marvel One-Shot Short Film: All Hail the King
- Audio Commentary with Director Alan Taylor, Producer Kevin Feige, Actor Tom Hiddleston (Loki) and Cinematographer Kramer Morgenthau
- Never-Before-Seen Extended and Deleted Scenes
- A Brothers’ Journey: Thor & Loki
- Go behind the scenes with the filmmakers and cast in this 30-minute featurette to explore two of the most iconic characters in the Marvel Universe. Journey through the key moments that have defined and endeared these characters to audiences around the world with stars Chris Hemsworth (Thor) & Tom Hiddleston (Loki).
- Scoring Marvel’s Thor: The Dark World with Brian Tyler
- Go behind the scenes with the filmmakers and acclaimed composer Brian Tyler for a look at the creation of the movie’s original score.
- Exclusive Look – Marvel’s Captain America: The Winter Soldier
- Get an exclusive first look at the latest installment in the Captain America franchise and its cast of characters, including Scarlett Johansson as the Black Widow, Samuel L. Jackson as Director Nick Fury, Chris Evans as our hero Steve Rogers, his new ally Sam Wilson, aka the Falcon played by Anthony Mackie, and a mysterious enemy from the past: the Winter Soldier played by Sebastian Stan.
- The Dark World Gag Reel
Bonus Clip: Bloopers
Disclosure: We received a complimentary copy of this movie. All opinions are our own.