Disney Interactive announced today some major improvements to the next generation of Disney Infinity, aptly called Disney Infinity 2.0. There were so many major upgrades to the game that it’s actually very hard to decide what is the most exciting addition.
We’ve heard rumors for awhile about Marvel Figures and Play Sets being introduced (and we just so happened to ask this very question in an interview we did last year), so while it wasn’t a huge surprise, it was great to see the new characters running around in the presentation. There will be a starter pack of Marvel characters available in the Fall of 2014 and later promised additions include more than 20 Marvel Characters with adventures written by Marvel comic writer Michael Bendis, an addition that can’t be stated largely enough as the game will have all of the small details that make Marvel stories so amazing. The physical characters that were displayed included Captain America, Iron Man, Black Widow, Thor, Hulk and Hawkeye. It was also interesting to see several references to Spider-Man and Guardians of the Galaxy, so we assume they’ll eventually make their way to the platform. Not to be left out, there are also some unnamed Disney characters planned for version 2.0 as well.
Besides the new playable characters and accompanying Play Sets, the Toy Box is getting an enormous set of improvements in Disney Infinity 2.0, one of which are templates that players can customize to create all sorts of complete games. The templates will begin with tower defense and dungeon crawler style of games that take advantage of new procedurally-generated levels. One example of this detailed a Toy Box level in Asgard that showed how a game creator can generate new versions of a dungeon crawler game every time they play. The updated tools will help players build worlds faster and easier and even provides some “automated builders” that will procedurally generate worlds. The user generated Toy Boxes in Disney Infinity have been really fantastic, and with these new tools available at their disposal, it will be interesting to see what types of amazing things players come up with.
Last, but certainly not least, there will be new circular and hexagonal Power Discs that will add a variety of features to the game including things like weapons and vehicles. These discs include:
Marvel Skies and Textures
- World War Hulk – Customize your landscape to make it look as if Hulk went on a smashing rampage
- World War Hulk Sky – Turn your blue skies green with this Hulk themed power disc
- Stark Tech – Deck out your Toy Box compliments of Tony Stark. Unlock the Stark Industries Tech theme with upgraded Hologram Readout Tech ability
- View from the Suit – Ever wonder what it’s like to see the world from inside Iron Man’s helmet? Check out the Hologram Readout Tech upgrade and unlock Stark Industries “View from the Suit”
- Hydra Motorcycle – Take Hydra’s Motorcycle for a spin. Sidecar included
- Lola – Need a ride? Unlock this Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. hover car
- S.H.I.E.L.D. Containment Truck – Contain enemies and protect civilians with this S.H.I.E.L.D. truck
- Falcon’s Wings – You’ll be soaring when you put on Falcon’s Wings
- The Avenjet – Hop on board the Avenjet for a speed boost in your Toy Box
Marvel Team-Ups and Costumes
- S.H.I.E.L.D. Helicarrier Strike – Send down a missile strike from above. Your enemies will need to take cover.
- Marvel Team Up: Winter Solder – Team up with the Winter Soldier and catch your enemies in the crossfire
- Marvel Team Up: Iron Patriot – Hit them hard, hit them fast, hit them everywhere! Iron Patriot reporting for duty
- Stark Arc Reactor – Try the Mark 42 on for size! Unlock Iron Man’s black and white special edition Guardians of the Galaxy armor with added boom!
- Sentinel of Liberty – Expand your Super Hero wardrobe with Captain America’s World War II costume and original shield!
- Gamma Rays – Time to get old school and unlock the Original Grey Hulk costume with added smash!
The game will be available as a Starter Pack which will include include the Disney Infinity 2.0 game, three Marvel Super Heroes Figures (Iron Man, Thor and Black Widow), a Disney Infinity 2.0 Base, two Toy Box Game Discs, a Marvel’s The Avengers Play Set piece along with a Web Code Card. It is available for iOS, PC, PlayStation 3, Wii U and Xbox 360, and for the first time, next generation consoles PlayStation 4 and Xbox One. All platforms should be ready from the first day, so your pretty well covered regardless of the system you have.