Marvel’s highly anticipated “Guardians of the Galaxy” is set to hit theaters in a few weeks (August 1, 2014), and today, Disney Interactive has announced that the characters from the blockbuster film will make their next appearance in Disney Infinity: Marvel Super Heroes (2.0 Edition).
Like other Disney Infinity Play Sets, “Guardians of the Galaxy” has its own unique storyline. This one begins with the Guardians stealing a powerful cosmic object from the villainous Ronan the Accuser. They arrive at Knowhere and must protect it from Ronan and his attacking Sakaaran fleet while keeping their newly acquired item safe from the villain’s evil control.
Playable characters for the Play Set include Star-Lord, Rocket Raccoon, Drax, Gamora and Groot along with a couple of crossover characters: Iron Man, from “The Avengers” Play Set, and Nova, from the “Spider-Man” Play Set. Mission givers will include Cosmo, The Collector and Yondu.
There will also be “Guardians of the Galaxy” themed Power Discs (see images of a couple of them above and below) that will enable players to customize their Play Set and Toy Box experiences. The Power Discs include:
- Space Armor – Unlock Gamora’s out of this world Space Armor costume for added protection against enemies. Who says fashion can’t be functional too?
- Marvel Team-Up: Yondu – Fight alongside this powerful, arrow shooting ally and send enemies running for their lives
- Groot’s Roots – Theme out your Toy Box world with Groot’s Roots. It’s sure to grow on you!
- Groot’s View – Embrace your inner green thumb and theme Toy Box skies out Groot-style
- Star-Lord’s Galaxy – Turn your Toy Box into Knowhere – Star-Lord’s home base in the Galaxy
- The Rip – Turn Toy Box skies into the skies of Knowhere with this Power Disc and transport yourself to the outer edge of all space and time
Additional characters will be announced in the coming months, and we’ll have full reviews of all of the new Play Sets, characters, environments and the game when “Disney Infinity: Marvel Super Heroes” is released to retail stores this fall. The game is being developed by Avalanche Software and is rated E-10+ by the ESRB.