D23 has announced a new addition to the upcoming ‘Destination D: Attraction Rewind’ event at Walt Disney World: Brad Bird’s very secretive film, “Tomorrowland,” has been added as a panel. According to Slash Film, supervising art director Ramsey Avery will be on hand to discuss the making of the film and how it relates to the 1964 World’s Fair and one of the most famous attractions in the world, “It’s a Small World.” The event was already sounding interesting enough, and the new “Tomorrowland” addition should really put it over the top for Disney fans. The entire ‘Destination D: Attraction Rewind’ event will center around Disney rides from the past such as Adventure Thru Inner Space, 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea and If You Had Wings. The event takes place at Disney’s Contemporary Resort on November 22 and 23, 2014. Tickets are available via the D23 web site.
The entire schedule for the ‘Destination D: Attraction Rewind’ event follows:
SATURDAY, NOVEMBER 22, 2014
- Disney Goes to the World’s Fair: Historian Bill Cotter looks at Disney’s massive influence on the 1964–65 New York World’s Fair.
- A World’s Fair of Disney Legends: Marty Sklar, Alice Davis, and Bob Gurr discuss their contributions to the Fair.
- Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln: Historian Michael Kelley and Disney Legend Bob Matheison take a behind-the-scenes look at the groundbreaking attraction.
- Ford’s Magic Skyway: Bill Cotter and Disney Legends Bob Gurr and Bill Sullivan reveal some of the secrets behind one of the Fair’s most innovative attractions.
- Carousel of Progress: Disney Legend Marty Sklar and Imagineer Gary Landrum talk about the creation of this one-of-a-kind show.
- it’s a small world: Disney Legend Alice Davis discusses working on the beloved attraction with her husband Marc and artist Mary Blair.
- Lost on the Way to the World’s Fair: Walt Disney Archives Director Becky Cline reveals some of the proposed creations that didn’t make it to New York.
- A Sneak Peek at Disney’s Tomorrowland (see above).
SUNDAY, NOVEMBER 23
- Widen Your World: Tony Baxter, Imagineer Jason Grandt, and Disney Legend Charlie Ridgway revisit popular attractions from the early years of Walt Disney World.
- Disneyland: Fond Memories of the Past: Becky Cline and historian Stacia Martin journey through some of Disneyland’s most beloved attractions of yesteryear.
- Retro Rewind References: Imagineers Wyatt Winter and Jason Grandt reveal some of the hidden references to past attractions in today’s theme park creations.
- Rediscovering Discovery Bay: (see above).
- An Evolution of Make Believe Made Real: Imagineers Dave Minichiello and Pam Rawlins detail the creation of the Seven Dwarfs Mine Train and explore its roots, which began in 1937.
- That Was Entertainment!: Disney Legend Ron Logan lifts the curtain on some of the most fondly remembered events and entertainment from Disneyland and Walt Disney World.