Disclosure: We received a complimentary copy of this movie. All opinions are our own.
Guardians of the Galaxy was undoubtedly one of the biggest surprises in the MCU when it hit theaters in August 2014. Marvel had obviously been doing something right with movies centered on mainstream characters like Hulk and Captain America, but many questioned the logic of doing a movie centered around unusual characters like a talking raccoon. In fact, it’s likely that most people that went to see Guardians had not heard of any of the characters beforehand. It was a huge success and really proved that Marvel could make successful movies with characters that general moviegoers would not have been as familiar with. Perhaps even more important, while the other movies had been fitting together like a puzzle, Guardians really stood on it’s own with no mention of any of the Avengers or the television shows like Marvel’s Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.
With the release of Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2, I’m sure many again wondered if Marvel could be as successful. This time, it was their own success actually getting in the way. Could they create a movie compelling enough to live up the hype of the original? You only need look at the box office numbers from this summer to see that Guardians Vol. 2 was just as amazing as the original. It banked nearly $400 million domestically and had a total haul of almost $870 million. With such a popular movie, I’m not sure it’s really necessary to do a total review of the film itself. Instead, we’ll focus on the contents of the Blu-ray.
There is a great deal of content on the Blu-ray as Bonus Features that runs about 80 minutes in length. Let’s first look at the content related to James Gunn, who was again at the helm as the Director/Writer. The Audio Commentary gives some excellent insight on decisions that were made and Visionary Intro details where the movie fits in the MCU. They are both excellent and provide some great details on the film from Mr. Gunn’s perspective. The Bonus Round is in four segments (In the Director’s Chair with James Gunn; Reunion Tour: The Music of Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2; Living Planets and Talking Trees: The Visual Effects of Vol. 2 and Showtime: The Cast of Vol. 2) and is a sort of behind the scenes look at how Guardians Vol. 2 came together and looks at how music plays such a huge role in the films (it is definitely something I really enjoy about the films), special effects and some of the cast that works so well with one another. There’s a Music Video included as well that’s very funny. I won’t spoil it for you, but make sure watch it! Lastly, but not least, are some deleted scenes and a gag reel. For some reason, I always enjoy the deleted scenes, and who doesn’t love gag reels?
Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 was so much fun to watch for a second time in the comfort of our home. I love the cinematic experience, but it’s also nice to eat my own snacks and enjoy a movie. This one is certainly one of the best in the entire MCU! It has a great amount of Bonus Features that add to the experience, as well and it’s a must-have movie for Marvel fans, Guardians fans or anyone that loves great storytelling!
The Blu-ray will be available on August 22, 2017! Check out more details below, and be sure and scroll down to see some fun Rocket and Groot bonus clips!
- The Making of “Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2” – A four-part, behind-the-scenes look at the making of the film, done in the style of classic-rock album liner notes.
- Visionary Intro – Director James Gunn provides context on how he continues and expands the storylines of these beloved characters in “Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2.”
- Guardians Inferno Music Video – Join David Hasselhoff and special guests for a galactic retro dance party.
- Gag Reel – Laugh out loud at all the hilarious off-script shenanigans and bloopers that took place on the set of “Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2,” featuring all your favorite Guardians.
- Four Deleted Scenes – Check out four specific scenes that had to be cut from the film, including two extended scenes and two deleted scenes.
- Audio Commentary – Check out a special narration of the film by director James Gunn, who guides fans through an inside look at the making of the movie.
- Three Scene Breakdowns (Digital Exclusives) – We’ll reveal the anatomy of a few key scenes from the film. Discover the process in bringing these scenes to life. It starts with a doodle and the rest is film history. Audiences will be given the option to view 5-6 layers of specific scenes in the film. Scenes include “Eclector Escape,” “Gamora and Nebula,” and “Rocket and Ravagers.”
- Guardians of the Galaxy – Mission: Breakout! (Digital Exclusive) – Get an exclusive sneak peek inside the most anticipated ride at Disneyland, Guardians of the Galaxy – Mission: Breakout!. We’ll dig into the concepts and inspiration, and talk about what it took to bring the most epic ride at Disneyland to life.
- Does not include any bonus materials.